My reactions to this story.... I loved it, but the story could seem a little flat at times, especially when the story focused in on minor details like the family becoming rich, and especially at the end how the 'angel' became a dot on the sea, I didn't like those moments but (and I'll go back to it later) this story was touching. My second reaction to this story was, "how did the people of this Caribbean (yes it sounds like a Caribbean island) or Polynesian island not have the brains to realize that this was a bird! I'm not going to lie if the author hadn't been so blatantly obvious with his use of words such as buzzard, vulture, and hawk I probably would never have caught on to the situation in this story, but as it was, what I felt was a "traffic jam" of descriptions vs. realities did not really ruin the story for me, and in fact it was what I talked about at the beginning that made this story so touching. Aside from the "Spider Lady" (Spider-Man has been there and done that), who I felt was unnecessary and kind of annoying (but I think the author may have been going in that direction with her a little) I thought it was nice how people with problems would go to the 'angel' to have their problems healed by his holiness, but how even without having powers the angel 'gave' something to each of the people; good or bad. Why I really liked this was because I felt that it was one of the author's best use of being subtle with what he's conveying, and what I like about this is that by giving the people of the village, and people hurt by life random things, the author is taking the asbestos out of one of the walls (not the fourth) and whispering to the people, "he's not really an angel so stop your foolishness," which I loved. Overall, this was a great story to read, and aside from my few nitpicks, I would say kudos to the author.
Some questions I have about this story are
a. What "type" of bird/angel landed in Pelayo's house; was it a stork, a vulture (most probable), or a hawk or anything else?
b. What Island does the bird/angel live on; because somebody would have to be pretty isolated (or stupid) to believe that a bird was an angel?
c. What actual physical condition did the Spider Lady actually have, if any (because it isn't as if she's been bitten by a radioactive spider (or am I just being stupid and the whole notion of her condition is fiction within the fiction))?
No comments:
Post a Comment