Thursday, April 17, 2014

Where Are You Going? Where Have You Been?

This story left me coming away from it very creeped out; but before I talk about that, I wonder why this story is for Bob Dylan?  Anyways lets begin: this story was very creepy towards the end, and throughout it, you knew the author was leading up to something.  Our story concerns a girl named Connie who is longing for an "adventure" with guys, who is pretty but stuck in a world with an overachieving-ugly-all-star sister  and a mom who is overly critical of her.  The only place she can find solace is with her friends, and with boys.  During this place in the story, this girl really sounds like a superficial jerk, and she is but later in the book you feel sorry for the situation she's in.  While what I described to you may just sound like teenage sex with consent; this next part is where it gets creepy.  Connie stays home while her family goes to a barbecue and while she's listening to music, this creepy guy comes over to her house in a car, tells her he wants her, and when Connie threatens to call the police; shit gets serious.  The guy (named Arnold Friend) appears to know almost everything about Connie, and he looks like he's forty-years-old.  Eventually he comes into her house and takes her away with him never to return.  This really really creeped me out because not only do I know that the girl is going to get raped but she is also getting kidnapped.  Personally, the thought of getting kidnapped and raped by a forty-year-old pedophile (and his friend) is just too scary to even try to imagine.  But in a way it is ironic that Connie; a girl who is suppressed by her mother and wants to leave the awful vibe she has going in her current life uses boys to escape, is then forcibly forced to leave her house in order to pursue a life she dreamed of.  This story seemed interesting even from the beginning,  but towards the end, I wanted to put the story down and stop reading.  It's just so creepy what Arnold Friend says at the end, how he asks Connie in a creepy voice to come with him, and let everything go because she's going to have a new life.  While the storytelling of this story was amazing, the actual story (while not written badly) was pretty scary to read, it made me feel like I was being watched by a forty-year-old creep.  To sum it up: good story, very scary, creepy plot.

If I had to use a sound track to describe this story here's what I would use... especially for the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMfoRqbS-Ko

No comments:

Post a Comment